Friday, December 17, 2010

Fridays are a mindset

I just now wrote in my journal: "It’s Friday! Yay!" Then I thought, "why are Fridays such a big deal to me?” I’m a homemaker! 

Friday is a mindset we would do well to live in for more days a week.  We have a better outlook for a day.  We anticipate enjoying the next couple of days rather than dread them. In reality most people have to work at least one, if not both days on the weekend.  Maybe not at the workplace but at home or helping friends and family.  And some kind of “relational” work usually takes place. However, we cheerfully enjoy Fridays because we look forward to a break, a change of pace.

I think retirement is like years of Fridays all strung together. It’s not that we don’t have work to do, but the anticipation boosts our energy level.  We tend to have a clearer mind about what’s important. We don’t try to do too much.  We plan fun activities long awaited and “re-creation” occurs.  Life gets livelier. Our hearts get bigger, and we are able to give and receive love more readily.

My husband recently retired after working for forty years and is taking some time to figure out what he wants to be when he grows up. Interestingly, it feels like I retired too.  He had long hours and a killer schedule working from home.  I scheduled around his schedule.  Now, my calendar feels as empty and free as his does.  By the way, I’ve not cancelled anything. J

I’m cheerfully looking forward to the days ahead, just like on Fridays. We are in a transition and probably have more work to do than ever but it feels different. I realize that in a few years, my perspective will most likely change, but today I say “Hello weekend, hello retirement! You have put pep in my step!” I’m just sayin’. Proverbs 17: 22a  A cheerful heart is good medicine...

No comments:

Post a Comment